Friday, October 17, 2008

Our bed.

When we moved into our new place just about a year ago (that I can barely believe) we realized that we would only be able to have a queen size bed in our bedroom. Having a queen size bed in there leaves us less than a foot on Robb's side of the bed between the bed and the wall and leaves my side of the bed butting right up against the side of the closet. Close quarters for sure. We made this work better by building a headboard against the wall to allow for more room at the foot of the bed - we know have almost a full foot of space at the end of the bed. I must give Robb hte credit for building the headboard because other than telling him what I wanted it to look like and that it was 100% wonderful when he was done, I had no part in teh construction of it. However, I did paint it.

Anyway, getting back to my point. We have a queen size bed in our room. Even with just Robb and I sleeping on it can get a little crowded. If you then add one or both of our children it is even more crowded. Ellie is a regular, coming in around 2 or 3 in the morning to join us. I think she gets up to go to the bathroom and decides she would rather come and share a bed with us then with her sister. So we make her sleep with her head at the bottom and her feet coming up between Robb and I. So we are now packed like sardines on the bed with barely any wiggle room at all and there is definitely no way that we are going to get our legs spread out in any way.

Now we could survive with this only then there are times early in the morning when Olyvia wants to come and join us as well. The question of where to put her comes up and it is merely a matter of where she can squish her little body into. Why do I bring this all up? Well, last night we had a house guest. Olyvia went to sleep over at Grandma and Papa's house and in exchange we ended up with Button. I think Ellie had something to do with this. We discovered that Button figures if Ellie can sleep on the bed with us so can she. Given my explanation of the postage stamp size we are all sleeping on, where do you think that she fit? On me, that's where. So I know have a 6" wide space spanning the length of the bed for which to fit my entire body.

I had a wonderful night sleep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel for you!! We too have a Queen size bed in a postage stamp size room. What's worse is that we have William living in the room with us...which usually means that by midnight he has taken over half of the bed. If you add Samantha and Emalee, there is no room for Eric! I don't relinquish my space. :-D

All I can say is 'Sleep? What's that?'. :-D

Kerrie said...

At least it's all family that you love deeply! Just trying to look at the positive :)