Monday, October 27, 2008

Sugar Cookies - Olyvia & Ellie Style!

My hopes were high and came crashing down as the sprinkles flew through the air and the dough became ground into the clothing of my sweet innocent children.

I think my first mistake was waiting to make the dough. I should have made it the night before so I wouldn't have to go through the bombardment of "is the dough ready?" questions while the eagerly waited to cut and sprinkle. Also, the recipe said it only had to be in the fridge for 1 hour when in reality it took a couple hours for it to reach a firm enough texture to survive rolling. So, we suffer through the wait and I call the girls to let them know that it is time to roll. As I am getting the rolling pin, Olyvia has climbed up onto the counter on her arms and has both of her arms resting in the pile of flour I have on our island. Not just hands mind you, but flour all the way up to her elbows and as I turn around I can't control what comes out of my mouth and I shriek "Olyvia - what are you doing? " She flings her arms out of the flour and the kitchen (along with her sister sitting next to her) become white. Maybe I should have spoken slower and not so high pitched to allow for a slower retraction of the arms from the flour. Oh well. I have a slight heart attach but realize it is most likely only going to get worse. I push the flour to the side making sure to leave an adequate amount on the area I put the dough and I begin rolling and cutting out our orange and white halloween sugar cookies.

They both had little ramekins for them to put their sprinkles in. They decided that the best course of action was to dump as much of every color of sprinkles that we have into their "little sprinkle bowls" and then dump their entire bowl onto the cookie sitting on the cookie sheet. My mistake was not watching them more closely. Oh well. So I would cut the cookies out, place them on the sheet and then hand the sheet over. They would then dump their "little sprinkle bowls" out onto the cookies. I would then take the cookie sheet which now looked like it had a series of sprinkle pyramids on it, give it a little shake over the kitchen sink and place it in the oven.

This procedure was repeated over and over until all the dough was cut out and cooked up. There was one point where I finally had to put a halt to them taking the dough I was still cutting cookies out of because they had grabbed ahold of the same piece and then proceeded to play tug of war with it until there was no longer any cookie dough in their hands to hold onto because it had all squished out onto their laps and into their clothing.

Now, if you can get over what they look like and like the taste of baked sugar coated sugar cookies, they actually didn't taste too bad. Yum! Yum!

Did they have fun? I hope so. I had to keep reminding myself that it doesn't matter what the cookies look like and the kitchen can be cleaned up. While I was reminding myself of this however, I had not yet traveled around the other side of the island to see what the floor looked like below them. All I can say is WOW!

I think next time I will stick to something that doesn't involve decoration for at least another year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you survived it! Sounds like the girls really enjoyed themselves. :-D