Thursday, October 30, 2008

Tub Time!

An ongoing battle Robb has with the girls while they are in the tub is to not splash. We don't mind them playing in the tub, but the tidal wave splashing is a little much. There is no missunderstanding this rule either. They are aware of it, know it and know the consequences of breaking it.

That said, the rule is always broken. Tonight is an example. We hear them in their in the tub talking away and then we hear "splash, thud". I gently say to them "Bottoms in the tub please." Then another splash and Robb steps in "No splashing girls." From the bathroom comes Olyvia's voice "What was that?"

I believe that she didn't hear us about as much as I believe that money trees exist. In other words - I don't believe it AT ALL! There is a distance of about twenty feet between where Robb and I are sitting and where the girls are at in the bath. They definitely heard us and are playing dumb.

What is it about selective hearing? It isn't a learned behavior, I am sure of it. I am convinced that it is an ingrained behavior that each and every person is born with. My girls at the age of 5 and 3 have fine tuned it to a wonderful perfection.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh how I love to read your blog! It's good to know that there are others out there with a 3 and 5 year old that seem to use their own discretion when it comes to hearing their parents! :-D I have to say that I am laughing hysterically at your particular comment of sitting down because I find myself saying it in my head but very different words coming out of my mouth at those particular moments. :-D Gotta love our girls! :-D