Sunday, September 28, 2008

Broken Finger?

Friday afternoon I got a call from Sam politely asking if there was anyway I could get off a little earlier than normal. I asked her how much earlier, and if she had a specific time in mind. She politely adn very calmly explained that she had broken her finger and needed to go to the doctor, but that she could wait until I could get home. I, of course, told her that she didn't need to wait she could bring the girls to me and go to the hospital to get her finger taken care of. I asked her how it happened and she just calmly replied that she shut it in the car door while putting the girls into the car. Hmm?

Going through my mind were numerous scenarios and none were as calm and innocent as she claimed this to be. There was the vision of her trying to get Olyvia in and the door shut and Ellie slamming the door before her hands could get free; or the vision of Ellie all buckled and Olyvia slamming the door; or either of them pulling the door closed before Sam could get free of the door. All of these situations seemed like a test in patience and pain tollerance to me. I see the door slamming shut and blood spraying out. The visions just are not pretty and no way are they as clam as Sam is expressing them.

Sam dropped the girls off at the office and headed to the hospital. Later that evening I get a phone call from her saying they had to burn off her fingernail and then splinted her two fingers together. A splint that she has to keep on for two weeks. I still have not got my questions answered as to why it is that her finger was in way of the door yet and so I try to probe Olyvia for some of these answers. Although most of what Olyvia said was rather confusing what I did gather is that Sam must have thrown her hand between the door and the jam to stop it from hitting Ellie's hand. If that is the case, then I definitely made the right choice in a nanny; Way to throw yourself in harms way.

2 comments:

Kerrie said...

Wow! Yep I agree you've got a good one!

Sammyfaye said...

Oh goodness that hurt so bad!! I just remember crying and olyvia saying it's Ok, dont cry we love you very much and dont want you to be sad.over and over again it was so cute! My finger still looks gross!