Friday, August 1, 2008

To Have A Dog.

Last night Button came to stay with us. I was going to add a picture of button and realized that we don't have very many of her and none that I could add at this moment. I will have to take care of that. Anyway, my dad headed to Alaska last night for a week long fishing trip to get some Silvers - he is very excited - and since my mom had to take him to the airport, we kept Button at our house for the night. The girls love it when we watch her and it lets us have the experience of having a dog without the long term commitment of actually having one. It also has allowed us to see what responsibilities we would take on as husband and wife and as dog caregivers. I have decided there are certain aspects of having a dog that I do not do. Most likely I had previously decided this in my mind but am now voicing it. First, I do not do poop. If the dog decides to poop in an area that is not that great, say our lawn (this in and of itself would be funny since we have five acres and only a piece the size of 1/5 of a football field is actually grass), I don't pick it up. That is Robb's responsibility. I also don't take the dog out after dark or before light. If the dog has to go potty late at night or way early in the morning, I prefer Robb to do that. What I have discovered of our relationship is that Robb is ok with that. He wonderfully abliges me and does all the doggy dirty work. He says it isn't willfully, keeping in mind he has a more passive personality. So instead of just saying no, he might later give the dog some paper which she would then tear to shreds and I would find myself picking up. He doesn't do this sneaky though, he proclaims the he is going to give the dog paper, gives it to her and then heads out. But, as long as I don't have to go outside, after dark, in the rain or wake up before the rooster crows to take the dog outside in the wind and hail, I will pick up shredded paper.

No comments: