Sunday, August 10, 2008

Ellie Claire turned 3.

Friday was Ellie Claire's birthday and I can hardly believe it. Our children are growing so fast, and getting so big. She didn't quite understand why her friends weren't coming over on Friday. I explained to her that Friday was her birthday, but her smile face party wasn't until Saturday which was the next day. She seemed content with the answer at the time, but asked again later in the day when her friends would be over and when she was getting her smile face cake. I am sure our previous conversation was like something from Look Who's Talking where she is saying "oh, ok." but really thinking 'This lady is nuts if she thinkgs I am ok with not having my friends over on my actual birthday...and what is this with having to wait until tomorrow for my smile face cake? I mean really.'

A few days ago on our way out to Hansville we say this rock of sorts that was painted into a very large smile face. Ever since then she has been very excited thinking that she was getting one of those for her birthday. Her present sat in the living room all wrapped up for a day or so and so every time she saw it she would ask if that was her smile face. I could see a little dissapointment in her face when she opened it and it was just a brand new pink suitcase with her name on it full of new clothes and books, and not a big rock painted with a smile face. What is a parent to do? Just when we think we have gotten them a great gift that they will love, they tell us they would rather have had a rock. I suppose next time I will know better.

No comments: