Monday, August 18, 2008

Mothers

I got home this evening to my usuall wonderful welcome. As I walked in the door with my hands full (what exactly was in them I can't even remember: my purse, lunch bag, day planner and more) Ellie Claire came running across the kitchen to the front door screeching a wonderful sound and jumped into my arms, climbing up my body. Olyvia wasn't far behind with her wonderful screeches as well.

After getting all my stuff put down I was able to spend a few minutes just hugging and kissing while they told me about what they had been doing when I walked in the door. We progressed to their room where they had been playing Candy Land. When Ellie would draw a card, she would just find a square on the board that was that color and move the piece there. Sometimes she was moving forward and sometimes she was moving back. She didn't seem to care if she was winning as long as she got to put her little gingerbread figure on the right color square.

After putting the game all away we headed into the kitchen to make dinner (homemade pizza, swiss chard & salad). While we were getting out all the ingrediants, Olyvia asked me a most wonderful question. She asked me, "Why do kids always need mothers?" I couldn't help but think, 'what a wonderful question.' How wonderful it is that she, at such a young age, already sees the importance of the unending love that a mother can give. For some the mother that gives this love isn't necessarily the child's biological mother, but none the less is a woman that shows strength, love, dedication, and loyalty to their child. I pray that both my girls learn the importance of being a mother and that one day they can pass this importance on to their children, whoever they may be.

No comments: