Sunday, September 13, 2009

'Night' by Elie Wiesel


'Night' by Elie Wiesel is an amazingly powerful true story of a young Jewish boy who is taken from a ghetto with his family to a concentration camp as told by Elie himself and translated by his wife. The book details the horrors of seeing his family ripped from his life and his father murdered by the Nazi soldiers. I was crying in the first chapter and there were parts of the book where I was actually sick to my stomach and had to take a break from reading. That said, it is definitely on the top of my "best books" list and I would highly recommend it to anyone, especially those searching for a first hand perspective on the atrocities that occurred at the hands of the Nazi's during WWII.

***** A definite must read for all.

This book was highlighted on the Oprah book club and her website offers some great resources.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've read it a few times and it's a must read. Did you get the chance to see the author on Oprah? It was quite some time ago but she did a two part segment with him. The first one she went to Aushwitz with him and the second show he was in studio with her. Very powerful.