Monday, December 22, 2008

Marco Polo with the Cell Phone.

On Saturday night the girls are I were sitting at home having just had dinner and decided to take some goodies to our neighbors and go for a walk. We grabed our coats and boots and headed out. It was 7:00pm. I took the flashlight from our jeep so that we would have a little additional light although the reflection from teh snow helped to lead most of the way. After dropping goodies off at both our neighbors houses we started back down the driveway. My parents ended up pulling down our driveway just at that moment. When we got back to the house we decided to do some sledding and so grandma and papa pulled the girls and I and then I joined in the pulling and we took them up and down the driveway. When Robb arrived at home we strapped the saucer to the back of the truck and he pulled us down the driveway until after a few upside down falls we realized it probably wasn't going to work the way we wanted it to and we headed inside for the night.

Now all day on Sunday I could not find my phone. It wasn't until I put the connection together of what I was doing the last time I had my cell phone that I realized it was most likely burried somewhere outside under at least 6 inches of snow. I went downstairs Sunday night at 6pm to see if Robb would be willing to help me search for it. We walked around in the snow for awhile just about giving up - so much snow to go through there was no way we were going to find it. Then Robb had an idea. He suggested I go and get his phone and we could play a Marco polo sort of game with it to find my phone. I had previously mentioned to him that it did not go straight to voicemail when I called it which lead me to believe the battery wasn't dead. Wherever it was, it was still on. And so we started walking down our driveway, stopping every once in awhile to listen for the "polo" call from the phone. I kept redialing over and over until finally, we head it. About 3/4 of the way down our driveway Robb heard the ringing. I was able to pinpoint the exact spot and started to dig. Yes, we found it and it was still working. It felt like something right out of a movie. Like on Hook when Robin Williams' phone gets thrown out the window into the snow and the dog digs it up.

Anyway, luckily I will not have to be buying a new phone this holiday season but the lesson learned was that I should remove my cell phone from my pocked before sledding. :)

2 comments:

Marjorie and Andrew said...

That is pretty cute! That totally sounds like something I would manage to do! Im glad you found it and it still worked! Merry Christmas to that!

annalise + andrew said...

I did that on Christmas Eve! Got to my parents house... and was so focused on getting all the "stuff" into the house that I didn't realize that I dropped my phone in the snow outside the car! Navy found it a few hours later on one of his romps out into the snow! So glad snow doesn't ruin a phone like other water does!! :o)