Sunday, March 29, 2009

Gravel Elf.

For those of you that have been to Kopperskogen, you know and understand our need for a Gravel Elf. This last Christmas I put them on my list of things I would really like and received some quizzical looks as to what they were. Quite simply, they are like any other magical elf. They come when you are sleeping or when you are away, bring something wonderful that you really need (in this case gravel) and are off again before you either wake or come back from your journeys. Most everyone that heard my request or read my list didn't give me too bad a time but pretty much told me that Gravel Elves didn't exist and at the time I believed that partially true.

Over this winter, the need for Gravel Elves has increased by multiples and so Robb and I finally decided we needed to just order some gravel. Now this is where the magical part comes in. Not once did I make a phone call or inquire with local gravel pits on costs. Not once did I go above and beyond expressing the desire to have some gravel.

On Friday Robb told me he had made some calls and had found some great prices on gravel and we would be getting a delivery on Saturday. Saturday came and my mom called (the girls had spent the night at her house) and asked if I wanted to meet them on BI for some fun and lunch. I went off to meet up with them and my sister and niece. We visited and watched the girls explore the Kids Museum and then went to Bainbridge Bakers for some lunch. After having a snack and coffee we all headed off. Mom, the girls and I made a stop at their house to get the girls' bags from the night before and then we headed back to Kopperskogen. Upon arrival I see Robb and our neighbor filling in the potholes along our driveway and further inspection as I drove up to the house shows that Gravel Elves do exist. During the short 2 or so hours that I had been gone 12 yards of gravel had appeared and been spread and paid for and I didn't have to participate at all. It was magnificent.

I do believe that the main Gravel Elf was my wonderful husband with the help of my dad for the spreading. They might not use any sort of Elf dust or wands or special words, but they are just as magical in my book. Maybe they will come again soon as we do have a really long driveway . . .

No comments: