Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

The holidays are upon us. Wow! I can hardly believe it. Just one more day of madness before Thanksgiving and my to do list is growing by the second. Between making up veggie trays (I think I might have to buy premade ones to eliminate stress) and the antipasta plate and cranberry sauce and pumpkin pies there is so much to do.

A few new things though this year which will be fun but different. My parents are out of town so we won't be seeing them over the Thanksgiving holiday which bums me out a little. I know they will have a great time on their little vaca to see family though so I am happy they are getting to go. We are going to be going over to my sisters for an untraditional Thanksgiving dinner (sounds delicious though so no worries) and then heading over to Robb's brothers' house to have dinner with all of Robb's family. That in itself should be quite the adventure.

At Robb's brother's house there are supposed to be 31 people. Wow! 31? That is just so many people. Robb very much wanted to bring pumpkin pies and we thought the best way to accomodate the number of people, and for ease of serving, was to make individual pies. So we are making individual pumpkin cups with struesal topping. I make these by putting the pie dough into large muffin tins and the filling them and topping them just like I would a normal pie. The baking time is slightly less but they taste delicious and are a sinch to serve.

I have to admit that when it comes to talking about food is when I get a little bummed about my parents being away. There are a lot of Thanksgiving day recipes that I won't get that I love because we aren't having it at our place or my parents' place this year. That said, it should be a lot of fun to travel to new places and try new things. It gives others the opportunity to have the holidays at their respective houses as well. And there is nothing stopping us from having it at our place next year (costumes included). :)

And so I embarq upon the Thanksgiving tradition of getting everything ready in time. Pies baked, cranberry sauce made, veggetables bought. It should be a lot of fun and I look forward to doing it with my girls and husband. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you and may you enjoy your time with your family as much as I will enjoy mine.

No comments: