Monday, March 19, 2012

out with 'cloudsplitters' and in with 'the shipping news'

I pride myself with the fact that I always, and I mean always, finish a book once I have started it.  It may take me 6 months to a year in some cases, but I finish it.  Even if I don't necessary enjoy the novel, I will finish it.  I hate leaving novels unfinished.   Have you every started a novel that you didn't finish?  If so, which one?

Almost a year ago I purchased a book called Cloudsplitter and was very excited about the prospect of reading it.  An historical fiction novel written from the perspective of the son of abolitionist John Brown.  So in January when I flew to Las Vegas with my mom and sister I took the flight as an opportunity to break into my new book.  Off to a good start I was excited to continue. Now, after 150 pages I can't decide if I like it or not, but have decided for sure that I need to stop.  I need to set it back on the shelf and go onto something else for awhile and maybe in a year or more I will be at a point to go back and try again. 

I have been trying to decide what it was about the book that I just couldn't get through and I conclude it was my inability to sit down for long periods of time to read.  Working full time and busy in the evening with kiddos, husband, laundry (always laundry), I often only have 10-15 minutes to read at a time.  This is not enough time for this book.  This is the kind of book you need a couple hours at a time to really escape into the novel. I felt like every time I sat down to read I had to reread what I read the last time I sat down.  I found I wasn't moving forward in the novel.

The book is back onto my shelf and I am starting on another.  I perused the selection on my bookshelf and have decided to read The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx, a Pulitzer prize winning novel originally published in 1993. 



Be watching for a review.


No comments: