Wednesday, March 7, 2012

balance - i have decided it doesn't exist

I am pretty sure that I have never tried as hard to achieve balance than I do as a working mom. Trying to devote the appropriate amount of time to each aspect of my life while also trying not to forget to devote time to take care of myself. My greatest joy in life is being with my girls. Every moment with them is a new experience and I hate to miss even a second of it. I find myself struggling with each decision I make; asking myself if it is the right decision. Should I work as much as I do? Should I go to the gym? Should I go for coffee with my friend? . . . . or should I be with my girls.

So . . . this is what I have decided. Balance is not possible. It does not exist. There isn't any way to do it. The key is to accept that. I remember reading Goldie Hawn's book 'A Lotus Grows in the Mud' and she discusses this very topic. She says something to the effect that balance is something we swing through on our way to the other extreme. As a mother that is so much more comforting than anything else I have read . As a mother, I have to be happy that I am doing the best I can. I love my children and care for them with my whole heart. I work hard and do my job well. I struggle but I am constantly striving to take better care of myself. All along the way I am going to continue to rely on God during each and every step of the way.

What are things that have been helpful to you as a working mom? Have you read something or heard something that has been influential? If so, please share it here. I would love to hear.

No comments: