Saturday, February 13, 2010

Maggots in Flour.

As I sit and type this I have a total feeling of disgust for flour. I have just gone through a process of throwing out all the flour in this entire house which included white flour, whole wheat flour and whole wheat bread flour. It is all gone. You may ask why, or maybe you wouldn't and you are applauding my action. Either way, what I am about to tell you will most likely disgust you.

This afternoon my youngest got the fabulous idea that I should make a pie after she had a talk with my sister who exclaimed she was making a pie or had made a pie. Either way, the result of the conversation was Ellie explaining to me that I "needed" to make a pumpkin pie for her. Once home from our day of run around, I decided that since I had all the ingredients for a pumpkin pie, I would go ahead and make her one. Together the two of us put all the ingredients for the filling into a large bowl and with great care and decisiveness...wait, who am I kidding? Let me rephrase that. With great speed and vigor, Ellie proceeded to stir the filling. If you had ever wandered if Evaporated milk, sugar and pumpkin can fly...I assure you it can. We cleaned up the mess and continued stirring. She was slightly slower this time. The filling was ready.

I gathered the ingredients for the crust, opened my flour (having just purchased it one week ago) and started to measure it into a measuring cup. As I was doing this, I saw something in the flour. I looked into the bowl and realized that I didn't just see one something but a whole lot of somethings. As I began to scoop these somethings out of the flour and put them into a bowl to better analyze them, I realized what they were. This is where my stomach started to churn and my hate for flour started to build. They were some sort of maggot like wormy thing. And there were at least twenty of them that I had scooped out of the flour. I don't even want to know how many more were in there. Then I started to wander how they got in there and were they in there the last time I used the flour? Most likely. . .OK, sick feeling getting stronger. Then I got to thinking that they were probably little eggs in the bag of flour and they had recently hatched and were eating the flour as their food.

I really can't type anymore or I may vomit. The result of this discovery is that I decided I didn't want to take a chance on any of my flour and I threw it all away. You may be wandering what we did with the pie filling....we baked it in the pie plate without a crust. It turned out wonderful. I may never make a crust again.

3 comments:

Gina M said...

That is disgusting and thank you for making me paranoid! Oh well, should eat less flour anyways. My cousins leve in Texas and they all keep their flour in the freezer because it kills the eggs since the heat/humidity down there is so high and they see that problem more often. Still GROSS! :)

Cathy said...

The freezer should help. I put mine in the freezer when I buy it and then get it out a few days later and it's fine. I've had the whole bug thing too (pre-freezering my flour) and it is gross. I hear 'ya.

Shayna said...

Yuck. I had a problems with weveils in my rice and pasta - it was so gross and I too threw everything away. I am glad the filling turned out yummy! =)