Monday, January 12, 2009

January Question of the Month

This is my fourth attempt to get this post up. Each time I sit down to write a post something distracts me or pulls my attention away. It is usually my beautiful girls and because of that, I don't mind being pulled away. They are so precious and growing so fast. The little things they say or the expressions they have.

That said, lately we have waging a war against the whines. We have discovered that our youngest has quite the sweet tooth that was made worse over the holidays. Because of this we have decided that there will be no more sweets. No candy, no cookies, no cake. She was to the point where she wouldn't want anything and wouldn't eat anything and then begged and begged for the goodies. Not gonna have it. We are slowly pulling her out of the abyss of addiction that she was finding herself in, poor little thing. She isn't too happy with us when she wants a goodie, but she is quickly realizing that the fits don't get her what she wants. That is a hard thing to do though, to be the parent. To hear your child being upset but still standing firm in what you know to be the best for them. They don't always like it and a lot of the times truely hate it, but making the decision to stick to it is one of the best decisions a parent can make. The following through of punishments is tough, but in the long run very worth it.

I remember a couple books that were really helpful for me when Olyvia was young were the What to Expect and The Girlfriends Guide books. I definitely suggest them to anyone pregnant or with young children.

This month I want you to think of one of the times it was really hard to "be the parent" and what helped you get through. You don't necessarily have to have children for this to apply to you. If you have babysat children before or have grandchildren, nieces and/or nephews then this applies to you as well. I look forward to hearing.

No comments: