Sunday, January 4, 2009

Bringing 2008 to a slicing close.

It was December 27th and I was busy in the house getting ready for a party we would be having that evening. Ellie was napping in our bedroom and Olyvia was helping me in the kitchen while also watching a movie. It was around 3pm. I had just sliced open a bag of greenbeens to get them washed and ready to cook up to go with dinner. We were expecting about 6 people over to the house around 5:30 for dinner, games and movies. I hear Robb coming up the stairs. He opens the door and says "I think we should probably head to Urgent Care."

Thinking he is joking or overexagerating I say "What?" and when there is no change of facial expression I ask "You are kidding, right?" He replies, "No. We should go to Urgent Care like, RIGHT NOW!" Still in shock and not knowing really what to do. Standing there in my slippers with a knife in my hand and beans in the other I ask "What did you do?" He replies, rather urgently, "I cut my leg and we need to go to Urgent Care right now!

I spin around in a few circles in the kitchen trying to figure out what to do. Do I clean up the beans and turn off the stove? What about the oven? The slow cooker is on? I need to get Ellie but she is napping. After I spin a few times, I run into the bedroom throwing off my slippers and putting shoes on. I grab Ellie, grab her some shoes while telling Olyvia to get her shoes on quick because we have to take daddy to the doctor. Luckily we had already packed the girls because they were going to be going over to their grandma and papa's house to spend the night. I grab all their stuff and we run down the stairs. I throw the girls into the jeep, pretty sure that I buckled them although I can't actually remember much of those few minutes.

We all got into the jeep and drove out. I tossed the cell phone at Robb who is sitting in the passenger seat, blood dripping out of the bottom of his pants leg , and tell him to call my dad and let him know that we are on our way to Urgent Care. I had called him quickly before leaving the house but being in such a quick hurry hadn't had time to really explain anything and I think I actually might have hung up on him.

It took us record time to get to Urgent Care and we pulled into the parking lot and I ran in to let them know that we were there. My dad had already filled them in on the situation. Robb got out of the car while my dad helped the girls out. We were led straight back.

The nurse took a look up the pant leg to see what we were looking at and all she said was "WOW!" and then proceeded to let us know she was just going to leave it until the doctor came in. When the doctor came in what we saw was none to pretty.

Below are some of the pictures we took with our phones while the girls attentively watched the doctor stitch up their daddy.














After we were back home and the party was over. . . yes, we made it home in time for me to finish getting things ready for the party and we had an awesome time (pics of that to come) . . . I was able to figure out what happened that caused this horrible wound. He was chopping wood with a very sharp Swiss ax he had gotten a couple years ago as a Christmas gift. He was being safe, leaving his leggs apart should the ax swing between his legs he wouldn't hit them with the ax. The problem was, the ax went all the way through the wood and bounced off the chopping block, coming up at an angle off to the left and slicing through his leg. If only he had been less carefull I guess . . . One of those things that just happened I suppose. I think I will just put him on sharp object restriction for a little while.

2 comments:

Marjorie and Andrew said...

OMG That is crazy! How did he do it? Thats one of those moments that you just have to step outside the box to be able to function! Im glad he is ok and I hope he heals quickly!

Jessica said...

Wow...that is quite a cut! So glad the family jumped into action and made it through the ordeal with flying colors.