Tuesday, April 7, 2015

a little reading in the new year

The New Year started off with a few good books.  It felt so good to sit down with a hot cup of coffee and fall in love with reading all over again.  Here is the selection from my book shelf that has kept me busy the last few months.

ORPHAN TRAIN by Christina Baker Kline

*** I loved this book.  Transporting me to another time when children were not precious cargo to be cherished and loved but rather property to be used at whim.  It is also the story of a young girl who endures extreme sorrow, brutality and despair but also experiences love, kindness and peace. I encourage everyone to pick up this book and throw themselves into a piece of literature that will definitely leave its mark.



WHAT ALICE FORGOT by Liane Moriarty

*** Not like any book I have ever read. I very much enjoyed the twists and turns that it took and that I wasn't able to just guess what the next thing was. We are met with many obstacles in our lives that take us down paths we never would have expected.  This is a story about some of those.


A MILLION MILES IN A THOUSAND YEARS by Donald Miller

** Have you ever looked at your life and wondered what your story was? If so, this is the book for you.  I loved how Donald shared learning about creating a story in his life and I look forward to moving in a direction with my life that welcomes adventures that help me to create a great story.


A MILLION WAYS HOME by Dianna Dorisi Winget
(reviewed by Olyvia Young)

*** This book follows the main character, Poppy, as she suffers great loss, frightening events and ultimately great friendship. I encourage other 5th-7th graders to read this book.


WILDWOOD by Colin Meloy
*** The girls and I thoroughly enjoyed the first book in the Wildwood Chronicles and are 1/3 of the way through the second book.  I am not usually a fan of fantasy fiction, but find myself excited for the next time we will get to cuddle up and read a few more chapters.  A series full of adventure, secrets, imagination and friendship. I would suggest this series to anyone looking for literary adventures. There are some situations that may be difficult for younger grade school kids to understand and may require explanation.  I would not recommend this series to any children below 4th grade and for some that may even be too young.  Definitely a book to read with your grade school children and not leave them to read by themselves. There are some situations that offer up a great opportunity for discussion with older children.  I look forward to where the 2nd and 3rd book take us on this amazing adventure that is Wildwood. 




No comments: