Friday, January 28, 2011

the gravedigger's daughter

After many tough months working my way through this literary work, I can happily say I have finished. It has taken me a little while to wrap my head around what I actually thought of this book. Was it well written? Yes. Was it good enough to suggest to any of you? It really depends on what you are looking for in a book when you pick it up to read it.

This book follows the story & life of Rebecca Schwart. She is the youngest child in a family of 5 who escape a Nazi ridden Germany to arrive in the United States with high hopes. Many, if not all of these hopes are thrown aside year after year as tragedy after tragedy overtake this young girl. This book brought many tears to my eyes and I don't think there was any point where it brought a smile to my face. I was never able to rejoice with Rebecca as she was never really given anything to rejoice over. As an adult woman she continually struggles with her past and never seems to be truely happy although she does seem to achieve contentment with where her life ends up.

*** I give this novel 3 stars for literary genius alone. I find Joyce Carol Oates overly tragic and at times down right depressing. Would it have been too much to ask, to bring some true joy into this woman's life? That said, the ability to draw on history and establish a very true character was amazing. I do not doubt for an instant the truth in Rebecca's character. Ms. Oates' ability to establish her characters in a way that truely represents the psychological impact of the events in their life made this book a worthwhile read.

No comments: