Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Gum Novelty

My oldest daughter came to me the other day at the office and asked me for a piece of gum. This isn't an odd request. In fact it is something she asks every time she comes to the office. I am pretty sure that gum is a drug of some sort that her body is addicted to. I came to this conclusion quite abruptly. The other day when O came to me asking for a piece of gum, this is how the conversation went:

O: Mom, can I have a piece of gum please?
M: Sorry honey, I don't have any gum.
O: But mom I really need some gum. please?
M: O, I don't have any gum so I can't help you.
O: I need something to chew.
M: I have carrots or apples in my lunch. You can have some of those.
O: I don't want carrots or apples. I want gum. I need gum.
M: You don't need gum.
O: But mom, my teeth are soooo bored. They need gum.
M: . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

How am I even supposed to respond to that? I wasn't even aware that teeth could get bored.

No comments: