Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Men and Laundry - a continuous struggle.

My mom walked home with me tonight. For those of you who don't know, I try to walk home from work at least two days a week. It is 4.5 miles with a large portion of it uphill. Great exercise and has helped me to loose some of those unwanted pounds that seem to circle around my midsection ever since having a baby. My stomach still somewhat resembles a map but it is getting closer and closer to a flat road map as opposed to a globe.

Anyway, back to my story. My mom and I had just gotten home and Robb and my dad were tearing apart a rototiller that we had borrowed from a friend to do our garden. They were trying to figure out why it wouldn't stay running for any length of time. Having a ton of laundry to do, as is the constant case, I thought I would switch it over. I opened up the washing machine and started pulling out clothes. There was a couple of the girls nice dresses, a pair of Robb's work jeans, a few towels, a bright red tablecloth, some of my underwear, some of Robb's dirty socks . . . The washing machine was full to the brim with all sorts of stuff. Now the fact that it wasn't sorted was one issue, but what was even more frustrating was that the machine was so cramped full that everything we removed was still dirty. Pants with caked on mud. Oh, and did I mention the white blouses that were now a faint pink tint?

As I can feel my blood pressure rising I try to stay calm and I gently ask Robb, "Honey, did you sort this laundry?" He exclaims yes, as if what he really means is "I can't believe you are even asking me that." Really? I don't think so. I think he just tipped the laundry basket upside down over the washing machine, lifted it off, pushed the laundry into the machine, added soap, squeezed the door shut and turned it on.

He still denies it but in order to make my life easier and save our clothes it has become necessary for me to sort all laundry before it is done. As is often necessary, I praised him for his help and kindly asked if in the future he could please only put laundry into the washing machine that I have already sorted. He just went back to the rototiller.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

You are a much gentler soul than I! Eric knows that he'd get his head bit off for ruining clothes and not taking the two minutes to separate the darks from the lights, and the 'work' clothes from the non-work clothes. Thankfully I don't have to tell him because he's pretty good at the laundry thing. Now folding it is a whole 'nother ball of wax! :-D

Patti said...

Oh, honey maybe you are being over dramatic. No, wait, I was there. It was ugly....Mom