Sunday, October 12, 2014

i am malala by malala yousafzai

My daughter recently came home from school very excited to read a book about a young woman from the other side of the world.  Since she was deep into reading Around the World in 80 Days for her English class I decided to read it first.  I am so glad I did.  It was the perfect peak into the heart of a child living in a completely different reality than my children or even than how I was raised.  Fighting against atrocities I would never have to experience under circumstances I can hardly even imagine.  We should all take the chance to learn what we can about those living in different circumstances than ourselves.  Malala was a young girl, daughter of a school owner/teacher, living in the Swat valley of current Pakistan.  The story follows her as she fights for the education of young girls just like her, gets shot in the face by the Taliban for this very same fight and what happens after she is shot.




*** I would highly recommend this piece of literature to all. There are names that may be difficult to pronounce for some readers and although not a difficult read in writing style, content can be discouraging as you read about the horrible things that Malala, her friends, her family and the citizens of her country were facing everyday.  You can purchase your own copy here or I encourage you to search it out at your local library.  Olyvia will be reading it soon and I will share her thoughts on this post at that time.

No comments: