Monday, August 5, 2013

"ninth ward" by jewell parker rhodes :: literature



Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans residents and many other communities along the Gulf Coast in the late summer of 2005. Now, 8 years later, it is hard to express this devastation to my two girls, ages 9 and 7.  My youngest wasn't yet born and my oldest was only 1.   This last Christmas my oldest came across this book and added it to her wish list for Christmas.  Being a sucker for literature, I couldn't help but grant this wish and I am so glad I did.  She read through it twice before I got ahold of it and was able to read it and then pass it on to my youngest to read as well.

*** Although I believe this was an amazing book, I only give it 3 stars because it is definitely geared towards young girls which leaves out boys as a reading audience.  I believe that there may be boys out there that would enjoy it, but I would probably recommend this book to 10 year old girls who enjoy historical fiction or adventure stories.  My youngest did find parts of the book a little scary so you may want to read it prior to letting younger children read it to determine if it would be a good fit for them. 

No comments: