Thursday, February 7, 2013

greenhouse in process :: kopperskogen

A few years now . . . OK, five years if we are really counting . . . since we built our first garden and I believe it is truly time to step it up a notch.  I am not sure my husband was super ecstatic about this but being that he is completely fabulous he didn't complain one bit when I exclaimed last fall that in February of 2013 we would be building a greenhouse.  And he knew when I said it that what I really meant was that in February, he would be building a greenhouse.  :) 

The adventure began in late fall as we began collecting all the necessary building supplies. Acquiring windows free through both Craig's list and a house remodel we knew about, a wall hung sink from a garage sale, tile for the floor and behind the sink from the Habitat store, beautiful pine tongue & groove for the walls from another house remodel we knew about, misc. building materials from a friend who owns a local contruction company, and so on.  Every time I would find something new or get a new idea for this most fabulous greenhouse, my husband would just smile. Adding the sink wasn't a big deal since he already knew we would have to have misters in there for the plants. However, when I suggested a hot/cold hose bib he quite quickly replied that there would not be any hot water out there. I tried the lip but it didn't work.  That is quite alright.  I am very happy with only cold water if that is what I have to work with.  I am going to have electrical, so I could always put a coffee pot out there to heat water should I need some warm water for something . . . .

We began discussing design ideas and after some sketching have come up with something that will look like this:


The slanted roof will be in the direction of the sun so that the plants can get maximum sun exposure throughout the day, especially in the winter.  Originally we had discussed a 11'x13' structure but once staked out I (rather we) have decided that a 15'x17' is much more what I was imagining.

The area is all staked out and this weekend we will be purchasing and planting the posts and hopefully (depending on weather) pouring the concrete floor....Stay tuned.  As we progress I will definitely be keeping you filled in.

No comments: